More winter activities
Cross-country skiing in Obertauern
Cross-country ski fans will find a few tips for trails here so that the training laps in Salzburg’s beautiful winter landscape are a lot of fun.
Our tips for cross-country skiers in Obertauern:
- The ‘Hundsfeld run’ – stunning views over 6 kilometres, e.g. the nature reserve of Hundsfeldmoors. Start: Above the Luerzer Alm or north of the ‘Höhensportzentrum’.
- The ‘World Cup run’ – 10 kilometres, for more advanced cross-country skiing, especially from the high pass to the Felseralm. Start: At the ‘Friedhof der Namenlosen’ (cemetery of the nameless) or at the valley stop of the Gamsleiten chair lift.
- ‘Schaidberg run’ – at 1.5 kilometres and therefore ideal for novices and beginners, also perfect for a warm-up for more experienced endurance sport fans.
- ‘Gnadenalm run’ – at 15 kilometres this is one of the longest and most snow-guaranteed runs of Salzburg’s alpine region. Start: approx. 4km outside Obertauern village.
- ‚Twenger Au run‘ – at 23 kilometres, connects Tweng with Mauterndorf; the longest run in the region.
- ‘Taurach run’ – is 13 kilometres long and connects Untertauern and Radstadt.
Snowshoe hiking and sledging
Snowshoe hiking, which can be combined with a sledging tour, is becoming ever more popular in Obertauern. Our guides know the area inside out and lead you, in your practical snow shoes, to a diverse range of remote places.
A very special experience is the horse-sleigh tour through Obertauern’s snow-covered countryside. Even at night you can enjoy an unforgettable trip in the sleigh watching the starlit sky. The horse carriages are also suitable for bigger groups; a carriage can accommodate up to 25 people. Price per person for night tours is 16; for day tours €13. Children up to six years go free; children up to 12 years receive a 50% discount off the regular price.