in the Hotel Steiner
The basis for what we do and how we act at Hotel Steiner is a commitment to the economical use of natural resources and the sustainable protection of our environment.
We want to create the best possible environment not only for the present, but also for future generations.
Obertauern is known as a skiing area, but the Obertaern-Hundsfeldmoor nature reserve and European nature reserve is located directly north of the village. It provides a habitat for rare animal and plant species such as the red-starred bluethroat and the dormouse. In 1991, the Hundsfeldmoor was declared a Salzburg nature reserve and a few years later it was also included in the Natura 2000 network as a European nature reserve.
If you arrive by bus, we are happy to pick up our guests from the Obertauern bus stop.
E-charging stations for your electric car guarantee an environmentally friendly, fine-dust-free arrival and return journey. Here you have the possibility to charge your electric car at the e-charging station located at the house. (subject to charges and availability).
We also ensure that our guests are transferred in shared taxis if possible. (8 persons in one taxi)
The Hotel Steiner has been connected to the Obertauern district heating system since 2003. This means that we are completely self-sufficient in natural gas or crude oil. The biomass heating plant is operated with wood chips from the region. Our heating system is centrally controlled, each room can be individually controlled at any time.
From September 2023, a photovoltaic system with approx. 120 kWp will be installed where we will have an annual Co2 saving of 48.1 tonnes. In the first step, we will achieve an independence of approx. 19%.
The outdoor lighting is controlled with timers to avoid unnecessary energy consumption.
We continuously train our employees in resource-saving and environmentally friendly behaviour. Our employees are advised at check-in to save resources and are also given important information here.
Most of our employees are accommodated in the adjacent staff house next to the hotel. They do not need any means of transport to get to work.
From the region. For the region.
A large part of our food comes from the surrounding regions. Short transport routes and the best quality. The best from the Salzburger Land.
We avoid waste wherever possible or separate it for further recycling. Bread waste, for example, is used to feed horses and is taken to St. Michael in Lungau. (Distance approx. 25 km) Our paper and cardboard waste is pressed with a press and thus optimally prepared for the recycling process.
All our departments strive to minimise paper consumption and recycle waste paper. In order to provide our guests with all information as paperless as possible, we have a guest app in which all information is stored. For staff communication we also use our own app to pass on handovers, repair orders, etc. in an equally environmentally friendly way.
When buying our products, we try to avoid plastic and packaging whenever possible. Here we work with our suppliers to ensure that the food comes in reusable deposit boxes. Plastic straws are generally no longer used.
We advocate sustainable tourism development and strive for the Austrian Eco-label.
Well-maintained dosing systems for cleaning agents in the laundry, housekeeping, kitchen, service and indoor pool technology reduce environmental pollution.
Our drinking water comes from many local high mountain springs and is fed in untreated. The water in the entire hotel is of drinking water quality.
In construction measures, we attach importance to energy-efficient construction with high-quality materials such as glass and wood and good thermal insulation.
Our environmental and sustainability concept
As an environmentally conscious business, we at the Hotel Steiner Obertauern are determined to fulfill our responsibility towards the environment, our employees, guests and the future. Our aim is to maintain a liveable and healthy environment by implementing sustainable practices in all areas of our business.
- Energy and resource efficiency: We strive to constantly reduce our energy and water consumption.
- Waste management: Our aim is to achieve a high recycling rate and gradually eliminate single-use plastic products.
Regional and sustainable cuisine: We aim to source at least 20% of our food from regional and organic sources.
- Environmental education and awareness-raising: We want to introduce regular environmental workshops for employees over the next few years to raise awareness.
- Energy and resource efficiency: switching to energy-efficient lighting and installing motion sensors in public areas. Use of time-controlled heating and cooling systems to minimize energy consumption. Investment in photovoltaic energy for electricity generation and water heating.
- Waste management: Introduction of clear waste separation in all areas of the hotel. Reduction of single-use plastic products and promotion of reusable alternatives.
- Regional and sustainable cuisine: Revise the menu to source at least 50% of dishes from regional and certified organic ingredients. Partnerships with local farmers and producers to promote sustainable food sources.
- Environmental education and awareness: Organize regular environmental workshops and presentations for staff Provide informational materials in guest rooms about environmentally friendly behaviors via the Internet.
Establishing a feedback system to receive suggestions from guests and employees on how to improve our sustainability efforts.
We strive to be a model of sustainability in the hotel industry, offering our guests not only a comfortable experience but also an awareness of environmental friendliness. By achieving our sustainability goals, we are helping to preserve our environment and create a positive future.